I am so excited that Kayla Marie is going to share with us some marketing skills that won’t break the bank. I shared with Kayla that a lot of authors are new to figuring out how to promote their brand and deal with technical, geeky stuff. We came up with a plan for her to share some manageable tasks and help us along. I’ll turn over the post to her…
Get a Website – Part 1
The internet is huge – it just keeps going and going. How can an ambitious person, who is just starting out, stand out in an endless place of information like the internet? It might seem like successful online publishers must have an unlimited budget for marketing, because you see them and their products in your circle of interest all the time. It’s possible that some might have large marketing budgets, but the truth is, most people don’t. It’s not because they aren’t making a bunch of money. It’s because you just don’t have to spend a lot (or anything) to promote your products online. There is a good portion of successful online publishers who have found success from promoting their stuff for free or next to nothing.
Throughout my career, I’ve found a considerable amount of personal success through self-promotion and putting myself out there. So, I’ve partnered with Lilac Reviews to share my tips on beginning strategies for free or nearly marketing online. These tips are for those who have zero budget and need some specific and actionable advice.
Free marketing – sounds a bit too good to be true, huh?
Despite it seeming impossible, the truth is that free marketing and self-promotion is exactly how most successful people started their online businesses. You may have guessed it by the title, but the number one place to start promoting for free is by starting a website.
“Doesn’t a website cost money?”
Getting yourself a website can cost you money, but it doesn’t have to. There are a number of ways to get a website for free, but be aware that some free websites do limit the types of things you can do and their functionality.
The best place to start for free self-promotion and marketing is by creating a Facebook Page and sharing it with your friends and family. So, what are the pro’s and con’s for starting a free Facebook Page for self-promotion and marketing?
- Just about everyone has or has had a Facebook account. So, it’s a no-brainer and a user friendly self-promotion tool for easily and potentially reaching millions of people.
- Once it’s set up, you can easily share valuable content automatically and it can practically run itself. (How easy it that?! We’ll get into free automatic marketing in my upcoming posts).
- You can link your Facebook page to other social media accounts so your readers can also find you on their favorite social media platform.
- Facebook pages have a tools so you can set up an email or newsletter sign-up form. This is handy so you can capture any readers email for keeping in touch or letting them know when your next big thing is coming out. (Newsletters and email marketing is something you’ll definitely want to do and that we’ll cover in an upcoming post – don’t worry though. This marketing tool will also be free.)
- Besides being able to add photos and fill out an “about section,” there are limited additional features or pages to Facebook.
- Facebook pages are not that friendly for long content. So, if you’re thinking of writing a lot, you’ll want to read my next post about getting yourself a website/blog so you can link it to your Facebook page to auto share your blog posts.
Setup of your Free Facebook page is fairly simple by going to the dropdown menu on your Facebook account’s “Home” page, and clicking “Create Page.” This will link your personal Facebook account to a Facebook page and allow you to easily toggle back and forth between the two. I know there’s a lot to learn in self-promotion and marketing, but this is a simple and free first step! Plus, I’ll be back soon to share more on setting up a free website for your product, with a specialized domain, and how to link it to your Facebook page for free automatic marketing and promotion.
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
If you can’t wait for the next installment, you can get to know Kayla on her other social media outlets…